The type of software testing technique that is performed after the implementation of new features or modification of the existing functionality is called regression testing. Its aim is to ensure that all changes of the code do not evoke any side effects and interrupt the correct operation of the whole system and its components.
Regression testing is also performed after certain bugs have been fixed. It is done for verifying that the issues have been fully removed. Besides that, the procedure of bug fixing should not affect anyhow the existing functionalities.
To effectively perform the procedure of software product after any changes or modifications, the several techniques can be applied.
What Are the Regression Testing Techniques?
- Retest all
- Test selection
- Prioritization of test cases
The method of retesting all designed test cases in the suite is rather cost-intensive and time-consuming as it requires much effort and resources. If the deadline is coming, then this technique will not efficient.
But instead of reusing the whole suite, it is better to utilize only the specified tests which can be divided into obsolete and reusable test case. The specialists will be pay attention and rerun only reusable tests.
The most resultative technique is the selection of test cases based on their priority. In such a situation, the specialists reuse only those scripts that are important according to business purposes, main features, etc. As a result, testing takes less time and resources.
What Cases Should Be Checked with Regression Testing?
- The functional aspects which are visible for the end-users.
- Every complex test case.
- Scripts that detect the frequent issues.
- Boundary value tests.
- One successful and one failure cases as samples.
- Every integration script.
- Cases that cover core features of the product under test.
If the system functionality is constantly changes and new functional are frequently added, then to conduct regression testing is rather costly. The way out is the test tools that help to simplify the checking procedure and reduce its price.
What Are the Tools for Regression Testing?
- QTP (Quick Test Professional) developed by HP. It is designed to write automated regression, as well as functional cases. For automation, VBScript language is used. This tool is keyword-based and data-driven.
- Selenium – open-source tool for automated testing of web apps. Browser-based regression testing can be performed with the usage of Selenium.
- RFT (Rational Functional Tester) – Java tool created by IBM. It is applied to automated regression testing. Besides that, the tool can be integrated with Rational Test Manager.